Thursday, September 06, 2007

Back In the Saddle

A few years ago I was riding my horse and took a pretty nasty dive off the side. Bruised and sore for a few weeks. Now, this was in no part the horse's fault but completey rider error. Basically, I gotta little carried away with my spurs and the horse took off.

Anyway, since then, I have been afraid to ride. The thought of being out of control again scared me stiff. I mean stiff!! I have rode the same horse several times since the incident and I would literally stand next to horse, with my foot in the stirrup, and cry. I love my horse and knew he wasn't going anywhere-it was all in my own head.

Today I decided was the day to conquer the fear and go for it!! It totally helped to have husband there with me to coach me and encourage me. He is so patient and my biggest cheerleader. I did all the excercises and then I walked and trotted the horse. Wow, I thought, I am doing so GREAT. Then he says, now lope a few strides. WHOA!!! Instant TERROR!! That is what I was trying to do when I took the dive. Of course, I cried, and said let's take baby steps. Oh no, that wasn't a good excuse. Again, he was patient and encouraged me step by step on how to stay in control. I swallowed big and trusted what he said. I took off and there we went with NO PROBLEMS!! I felt SO RELIEVED and so PROUD that I conquered my fear!!

Thank you Adam for being my biggest fan and cheerleader!!! I LOVE YOU!!


I documented the occasion!!! Me and my horse, Red Nite.

10 comments:

Emily said...

Good for you Shannon! Fear is such and awful feeling, but you can't let it take something you love away from you.

Alleen said...

Way to go!!!!

Beautiful horse!!

Soltana said...

Great job!!!! You look so happy to be riding again!!!
Love Red Nite.too cute.... Cerah started yelling horse..
lots of love

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I had a similar experience with a boat. I LOVED being on the lake until one day we were caught in a storm and it was horrible getting back to shore. To this day it makes me nervous to be on a boat. And it took me quite a while to get up the nerve to go out on the lake again.

I have always thought that horses are so beautiful - but the few times that I have ridden I have always been intimidated because of their size.

Melissa said...

Congratulations on conquering this fear. You look soooo happy on that horse!

Farrah said...

That horse is beautiful....WOW, I'm glad you got over that fear.

JuJu - said...

good for you girly!

Jenny and Matt said...

Way to go
!

Terry said...

Good job! I'm sure it feels good to be back to doing something you love and your horse is probably happy that you're back, too. Congratulations on conquering your fear!

Terry

Emily said...

Your horse is beautiful!!

SBP