Friday, November 30, 2007

Giving Thanks

This week was the absolute longest and hardest week of this entire adoption process. Allow me to give you a play by play.

Monday:
On Monday, our 2nd DNA had officially been at the lab for 13 days. We were given a timeline of 7-10 days from arrival to return to Guatemala City. The stress level was starting to reach above my functioning threshold.

Our agency called the lab and this is what they were told. "The more you call the longer it takes for us to complete our tests." Of course, this threw me into aggression overload. I told our agency this is completely unacceptable and I want answers!! I told them need to be a little more pro-active and aggressive. They said if they didn't hear something by Wednesday, they would have the Latin American Program Manager from our agency call.

Tuesday
All I could think about was Why is this taking so long? Why can't anyone give us any answers? It was a hard day...

Wednesday
Our agency spoke to the lab again and this is the information we received. Apparently, when Analise went for her swab she had either been eating or drinking something prior to the test. This caused the culture to read UNCLEAR. Which meant they were going to have to run another culture on the same swab. There was a chance that the culture would read UNCLEAR again. But the lab didn't think there would be a problem...so they started the culture but it wouldn't be ready until Friday. Ugh, the agony...

Thursday
I tried to stay busy all day and not think of all the repercussions of not having a CLEAR DNA test on Friday. The one thing I mostly dwelled on - no Christmas with Analise. Because they would have to start the whole 2nd DNA process AGAIN.

The only thing I could do - pray and keep the faith that God would not leave us hangin'. He has been with us throughout this journey every step of the way. He has provided a circle of family and friends to lift us up during the hard times.

Last night, I couldn't sleep. I would doze off and dream VIVID dreams of our pick up trip (seeing the foster mom, taking Analise from her, hugging Analise, waiting in the airport). Then I would wake up in between the dreams. It was all so real. I thought I would be tired this morning but I jumped right up and felt rested.

Friday
Long story short - I was in SAMS CLUB and my phone rang. It was the agency. They told us the test came back CLEAR and PERFECT. They also sent the lab to us via email with the FED EX number for tracking. I just started to cry. It was such a relief to know that it is on it's way to the US EMBASSY in Guatemala.


I am continually reminded of God's love and grace. In the times when I think I just CAN'T go forward He is there.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I follow your blog. We're at close to the same point you are! DNA to USE on 11/27, waiting on pink after a I-72 for something missing for our file? Hmmm. I think that sounds like a KO from the USE! Haha. Anyway, I am so relieved for you that this is taken care of. I knew something was going on, but I didn't know what. Maybe we'll have pink on the same day? And I don't think your Christmas with Analise is a loss at all!! If yours is, mine is too! And I refuse to go there yet. Anyway, I am continuing to pray for a fast appointment for you, and I would love to meet you in Guatemala while we're there for pick-up! Hang on. Not much longer now!

Love,
Crista in TX
Waiting for Miss Elli

Gail said...

Shannon,
I wish I could have been a fly on the wall at SAM'S. I am so happy that you got the good news before the weekend. It is time for Analise to come home!!
Gail

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about you all week. I know it seems like forever, but just think about how far you've come! Stay strong, sister!

Katie said...

Oh I am so happy for you -- what a relief !!! PTL !!

JuJu - said...

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Now I can give the pink a rest:)

ALMOST HOME BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am soooooooo happy for you - sleep good tonight darlin:)

JuJu:)

Madelyn's Mommy said...

God knows our breaking point. And he is always there to give us good news when we need it. I am praying for you and I know you will have Analise for Christmas. Have a wonderful weekend and I am looking forward to the pink news!

Andrea

Sarah said...

Oh Shannon, that is AWESOME news!! Hopefully you will have PINK early next week and travel the next! Analise WILL be home by Christmas!! Hang in there, mommy... what a testimony of faith that you are praising God after all the frustration this week! God is GOOD!!

Sarah

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Shannon,

I have been trying to find a minute to e-mail you to see what was going on, but it has been a little crazy since we came home. I can't believe your DNA has taken so long.
I am glad you will have a good weekend knowing that your DNA is arriving in Guatemala and you will soon have PINK.
I can say for sure that the heartache and stress goes away immediately once you have that baby in your arms forever.

You WILL have a wonderful Christmas!!! God is definitely good!!!

Sharon

Emily said...

Shannon:

I was so happy to see SUCH a perfect ending to your week! Analise is coming home for Christmas! YAY! :-)

Emily

Melissa said...

So glad to hear the dna test came out clear and perfect. Praying for pink early next week!

Jenny and Matt said...

Hooray!!!

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

What a great end to a bad week.

Terry said...

I'm sorry you had such a stressful week. Coming from someone that waited for PINK for almost 2 months after exiting PGN, I can say it is one of the hardest waits in the process. You're SO CLOSE, but still not ther yet.

Yesterday day brought AWESOME news! PINK is coming next week!!!!

Terry

jajbs said...

I am crying tears of joy for you right now. I am so happy for you... it will be a GREAT Christmas for you, Mommy Shannon. And God is so good... He is ALWAYS there to give us just what He knows we need!

Now... COME ON PINK!!!!


amanda

Alleen said...

Thank the Lord!!!!!! I've been stalking and wondering what was up. Phew!!!!!!!!

Stacie said...

Thank you God for being PERFECT and never leaving our side! Wow! What an awesome Christmas it is going to be with little Analise! PRAYING, PRAYING, PRAYING that DNA flies to the Embassy and she is in your arms SUPER FAST!!

Hang it there girl....she is almost HOME!!!

Stacie

Kristin said...

Shannon,

We must have had the same lab!!!! They were VERY RUDE to me on the phone and made me cry...and another family from our agency. I was just wanting a tracking number and they told me I had "no legal right to that information." I was dumbfounded because that was NOT TRUE. I called Susanna and she was so apologetic and annoyed with the lab, so she got Marshall on the phone with the lab director and gave them a piece of his mind. Needless to say, our agency isn't using them EVER AGAIN. They had our sample for 16 days...ridiculous.

Anyway, I am glad it's all over and you can have a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS celebrating with your sweet little girl! I am so thankful you're past all of this...praise God!!!!

Love you,
Kristin

nikki said...

Yippeee 2nd DNA. Your in the home stretch now!!!!!

Angel said...

There is a present for ya on my blog! Hugs, Angel

Lori said...

So sorry to hear you had a rough week! The waiting is the toughest! Praise God it is clear and you are moving ahead!

Angel said...

I have ADORED that picture from the first time I saw it too. She is SUCH a doll baby. I am so excited for you that you are getting so close. HUGS! Angel

Emily said...

I can't wait to check your blog this week and see that you have an appointment!

Jodie said...

I'm so sorry you had such a tough week!! So glad everything was cleared up FINALLY! Pink is on it's way!! :)

Jenn said...

I'm sorry you had such a rough week! I was so relieved when I got to the bottom of the post to hear that the second time they tested the culture it came out clear! She will be home soon!!

JuJu - said...

OK - OK - OK -

lookin foh sum PANK up in heeeeer:)