Tuesday, May 08, 2007

The Ups & Downs of Guatemala...what I learned

Baggage Claim is Hilarious:
After customs, you head to baggage claim. The baggage claim at the Guat airport is all of about 30 feet long. Take all 135 people times 2 bags/duct taped boxes/cellophane wrapped bags and you have one heck of a crapshoot! We managed to get out unscathed...


Foreigner Parade:
After baggage claim you walk through the hotel/rental car area which basically looks like carnival booths with signs containing the corporate name. You then go to your right and greeted by at least 100+ Guatemalans standing behind a barricade (metal type fencing like they use for American Idol). They are all there waiting for family and friends to arrive. You (the foreigner),on the other hand, feel like you are on parade for the people of Guatemala. This is the first time in my life to feel what it is like to be the minority...

Exiting the Airport:
HOLY CRAP!!! Where's the MARRIOTT shuttle?!?!?! You are completely surrounded by men with signs for hotels, car services, honking cars, people selling their stuff-total madness. In order to avoid the madness-look for the men in blue shirts who are there to carry your luggage (if you so choose). They were really great and helpful. He took us right to the Marriott shuttle!!

Marriott Hotel:
I will never be able to express the hospitality that was shown to us throughout the entire stay!! Unbelievable!!! They catered to every thing we requested-crib, bathtub, water from the pharmacy, formula from the pharmacy, and who could forget Dominos Pizza!!! All charged to our room.

Baby Lounge at the Marriott:

This was a great place to catch up with people and learn about their various takes on the adoption process in Guatemala. For the most part, people were really GREAT and there were some who really didn't want to talk to you. Why the HECK do you come into the baby lounge if you don't want to meet & greet!! SHEEZ!! One particular guy I met from Rhode Island (he looked like Adam Sandler) had a huge personality and he even said in that RI accent, "My buhddies ara gonna bust my chahps". Forget it-I can't type out how he said it! He was great and so was his wife!!! They were taking their son home at 8mths. We also met Drew, Bekah, & Eloisa of www.adventuresinadoption.blogspot.com. They are fantastic and it was a joy to meet blogger pals in person.


Food in the 'Mala:
After a week of non-American food, for which I was desperately craving, I found out that the poolside bar served hotdogs!! YES!!! Wait a second!! Since when do they put mayonnaise and guacamole (sp?) on a hotdog!! DUH!! Since your in the 'Mala!! It wasn't to bad actually. FYI-if you need an American fix-ask them to hold the mayo & guac on your "dog"....
PS-Milk in the 'Mala is NOT the same as the US!! Someone should have told me this before I took a giant swig and about spewed upon my precious Analise.....
PSS-The chocolate cookies sold in the gift shop are YUM-O!!

Poolside Visual:
Here, in America, we are spoiled by men who actually where swimming trunks. That's right folks-there were dudes sportin' speedos at the pool. Now, before you go and get all excited, these were old and older dudes (minus the swimming teacher). One old guy, had a speedo with bright orange flames on the front!! LOL!!! It was quite a spectacle to behold!! Just thinking about it makes me laugh!!

Sweet Little Nothings:
Just about everyone who saw Analise would ooh and ahh. The local hotel staff would say things to her that I didn't understand but she did because she would always smile...it kinda felt like getting your nails done. Know what I mean??

Best for Last:
This is what I learned about my daughter-

1. She does not like her arms covered when she sleeps. She will inevitably end up like this:


or this:



2. She loves her Daddy very much and loved listening to him every night. She would smile and coo when she heard his voice.


3. She does NOT like to be dressed up! She prefers to always be relaxed. See example below.


4. She would also rather smell than be clean.


5. Analise is a gentle spirit who loves to snuggle and give HUGE smiles. I know she will have an infectious laugh-because it is what I prayed for. I look forward to hearing it in the near future...

16 comments:

Cameo said...

what GREAT tips!!! And the whole "getting the nails done", dude you are soooo right on! I'm always wondering what they are saying!!!! You have such a beautiful and precious little girl!

Soltana said...

You're so cute...I love the pics of the cutie pie!! She looks happy...except wearing a dress and taking a bath :) I'm glad you had such a good visit...

The Mac Fam said...

wow how great. I can't imagine what you must be feeling. When do you go back and what is the process from this point forward. Oh and HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! You ROCK!!!

Melissa said...

Thank you for sharing your visit trip with us, and thanks for all the great tips. She is such a sweet baby!

Bekah said...

I love those pictures of her sleeping in the big bed with her arms out of the covers. Too sweet. It was wonderful to meet you...it is funny how some people come to the baby lounge but don't want to talk. :)

Jenny and Matt said...

Shannon,
I haven't been by in a while... just catching up.
Analise is BEAUTIFUL!! It looks like you had a great trip. I hope to hear more good news soon as you speed through this process! ( a girl can hope, right?)

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

I have been to Guatemala 6 times and I totally agree with everything you said. Very well said!! The pics are great!!!

Natalie said...

Shannon, this post cracked me up! The airport stuff...hilarious and oh so true! Except when we were there they were doing construction so it was even more chaotic!!! And the milk thing....I totally did not believe Kennedy when she wouldn't eat her cereal because the milk was yucky...until I tried it!!!! Yuck! I had to spit it out!

Beautiful pics of Analise! She's such a darling little thing!

Emily said...

This is a really great post! I am glad you had a nice visit. It is so great to be able to spend time with our babies when they are so little. Really hard to leave them, but so worth going.

Gail said...

Thanks for the info on Mala.
Your baby is BEAUTIFUL!!!
Gail

Kerry said...

I can so relate to everything..except the baby lounge. I must have been lucky because I never came across any anti-socials! I love that you prayed for her to have an infectious laugh. What an amazing quality that most people rarely think about.

Anonymous said...

I think you prayed that cause you HAVE that. :) Oh, how I miss that laugh. If I close my eyes I can hear it right now. :D

I love ya, and I'm so thankful you are experiencing the WONDER that motherhood is. What a journey you are on. :)m

nikki said...

Visit trips are pricless!!! Those memories will carry you thru the next few months.
Love her smile in the last picture!! What a sweetie

Anonymous said...

So - are you ready to go again?! I AM!!! I can't wait to bring Ana Banana home. I'm missing her terribly.
Love the post. Oh the memories! I'll cherish them forever! :)
Good times!
Auntie Amy

Anonymous said...

You had a great trip, learned about your daughter as she learned about you. Soon you will have her in your arms.
Falisha

Lori said...

Oh this is so sweet!! I love the pix of your beautiful girl!!