Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Info From Our Adoption Agency

I just got off a conference call with our agency. Our agency has regular conference calls for adoptive parents to participate in regarding the adoption process in Guatemala. They give us updates on current timelines, PGN status, legal status of adoptions in Guat, etc. Can I just say that, "I love my agency!"

Now, this is not the case for some of my fellow agency adoptive parents. We were told today that unless you have already purchased plane tickets that ALL visit trips have been suspended at this time. Now, I would be TOTALLY upset to find this out if I hadn't already visited Analise. They did have good reason for instituting this right now, I think.

Last week, at the Westin, a foster mother with our agency was stopped by the police in the lobby and was told she was trafficking children. Now, this was not the case, she was, in fact, bringing the child for final placement. Thankfully, she had all the necessary paperwork to prove that this child belonged to an American family. It all worked out but was scary for those involved.

In other news, our agency only had 4 PGN outs so far in May. All of those were submitted in either January, February, or March and all had at least one KO from PGN. They also had 1 KO from PGN on another case. Also, their current timeline, from referral to placement, is approximately 7-9mths.

All in all, my heart breaks for those who were planning a trip and now will not be able to go to Guatemala. You could actually hear several women gasp in disbelief when they made the statement. It was SO sad. On the other hand, our agency said they were currently working on a plan for parents to receive video updates since trips have been suspended. I thought that was really cool.

Please say extra prayers this evening for the safety of all of our foster moms and babies....

4 comments:

Sharon and Olivia Grace said...

Thanks for posting so quickly. I missed the first 15 minutes of the conference call. I came in right as they were saying NO MORE VISIT trips. UGHH!!!! I do hope they put the video updates in place as soon as possible. Sounds like there wasn't much else to report except slow downs. Waiting, waiting and more waiting. I'll be saying prayers for all of us that things go smoothly and quicker than predicted.

Ginger--Maya's mommy said...

That is horrible. I have not heard anything about this. I hope it gets resolved the visits can continue.

Unknown said...

Whoa. Does that mean that people in your agencey will NEVER meet their babies before pick-up if they haven't booked flights yet? That certainly changes everything. So sorry.

Alleen said...

It's so sad when things like this happen. I would have been heartbroken if I couldn't have visited.