Sunday, December 30, 2007

Adjustment

Life has been a whirlwind the past month. We have gone from a family of two (after 12 years) to a family of three overnight. Literally!! Here are a few of my realizations from the last two weeks.

*Sometimes, like when you got to WalMart, you have to figure out how to go pee without putting your child on the floor. This was a sight to behold!! I simply propped her up on the toilet paper holder with one arm and did my business with the other! It was pretty amusing!!

*At this point, a full nights sleep doesn't exist. Luckily, I am one of those people who can thrive on 6 consecutive hours of sleep.

*Someone needs to create a line of Stage 3 baby foods that tastes like human food. Seriously, my child gags at just about anything Gerber makes. But she does LOVE her some Bananas and Blueberry Buckle!! A child can not survive on Dessert alone. Although some adult women may argue this point!

*I can no longer clean my house and do laundry for the week in a day. Now, it consists of a here and there type schedule. Some finished today and some finished tomorrow. I may have clean underwear but no clean socks...

*Carrying a cool, hip purse is non-existant. Who wants to lug another item in addition to the kid, the diaper bag, the stroller and groceries! Maybe in a few years when the kid can actually go to the potty, walk and carry my groceries I will be able to carry that nice Coach purse again.

*My love for reality TV is becoming unheard of at this point. We now Tivo such things as Elmo in Grouchland and The Wiggles.

*My child LOVES music. Now, I don't mean that like all other Mother's. Seriously, Analise will try to sing, bounce or jump anytime musical notes are audible. She is actually singing right now in my lap as I type this. Oh, and she is also releasing some nasty funk at the same time. Which takes us to the next point.

*Sometimes it's a good idea to wait just a few minutes after finding a stinky. Case in point. My husband discovered the funk and promptl informed me with a shouting of "Sweet Fancy Moses" she needs changed. So, I pick her up and head for the changing table. I start changing her and realize, "WHOA! She wasn't done!" Yeah, I caught the rest in a wipe because I didn't want to ruin the cover on the changing pad. Luckily it wasn't runny!!! I know, graphic, but true story.

*I love the way Analise still smells like a fresh bath in the morning when I pick her up. I love how she smiles and laughs after every time she sleeps. I love that she smiles with her whole face. I love seeing her sleep in her Daddy's arms.

*Lastly - I love that God chose the PERFECT child for our family!!

11 comments:

metromom said...

I Love hearing about it all... Welcome to full time motherhood. :)

N

Cameo said...

HOW HOW HOW did you get inside my brain like that???? Mom came running over and yelled "YOU'VE GOT TO READ SHANNON'S BLOG!!!" Oh Shannon, it's great, isn't it?

Soltana said...

TOOOOOOOO fuuny...

I have mastered changing a diaper on my lap while sitting on the toilet...

I HATE bathrooms that don't have a changing table!!!
(or at high schools when we go tto games :)

I'm glad you're settling into mommyhood :)
LOVE YA

Katie said...

LOL -- so true ... all of it !!!

Reba said...

Shannon, I don't even remember how I found your site, but I have enjoyed following your story. Our timelines are similar. I think our son is just a little younger, and we came home about one week after you did. We actually have three other kids but we haven't done the baby thing in several years. So much has been coming back to me. I especially laughed on the bathroom comment...just today at church I learned that I can go potty if I really have to with our son strapped in the carrier on my front. It takes some maneuvering, but it can be done...Anyway, enjoy each and every moment. Life totally changes, but as you are learning, it is in a good way!

Madelyn's Mommy said...

Ok your post made me laugh because you just described my life. A baby brings lots of changes but they are good changes. And it is amazing how God chooses the perfect child to fit into your family. He is just cool like that!

Andrea

Kristin said...

I lOVE it, Shannon!!!! You hit the nail on the head with those posts....life is so different with a kid, isn't it??!! But, I love it!!!

You guys coming to town soon??

Love you!
Kristin

Jill said...

OOOOO I SO loved you post! Thanks for making my day! So TRUE! I am with you about the Stage 3 stuff... there really is not anything but dessert that is edible...what is a mom to do? :-) I love seeing your little one HOME! Thanks for the pics! Jill

Melissa said...

I did the juggling the baby on the toilet paper holder thingy while at Target last night. It is tricky, but it can be done.

I also have not carried a purse since Finley came home. I stick my billfold in the diaper bag and away we go. I've always been a purse girl and have had somewhat of a purse fetish in the past, but now I'm a diaper bag girl!

Alleen said...

hee hee. You've done the rite of passage into motherhood with the poop in-progress! Fun ,isn't it???

I'm enjoying the timing of taking the diaper off for the bath and Gabriella deciding that is a great time to stand there and pee. ahhhhhhhh.

The Mac Fam said...

Shannon, you are such a joy!!! I look forward to reading each and every post. Don't ever stop. B/c people like me need people like you while we are still on our journey's. You are truly an inspiration. Love ya.